“Those who migrate may go as students, enrolling in a master’s program to study the language of the country they are in. If some young ones have a burden for Europe, they may study French or German as an undergraduate in the United States and then enroll in a master’s program in France or Germany. While they are studying, they will contact their fellow students. They should not care for gaining a large number. In the years it takes to earn a master’s degree, they may gain several of their classmates. That group will become a nucleus for the Lord to raise up a church in that place. In this way, the Lord can raise up churches in every country in Europe.” (From an unpublished message given by Witness Lee on May 7, 1977, in New York City)

For international students and graduates

How to Start
  1. Go toDAAD
  2. If you only speak English, click on International Programs in Germany
  3. Filter your scholarship search based on subject, what level of study, what language, and what location
  4. Apply directly on the school website. Pay attention to their requirements (see below for clarification about specific documents). Standard requirements include:\r\n
    • Transcript (most important part)
    • Resume (see below)
    • Picture of college diploma
    • Proof of English literacy (see below)
    • GPA scale (see below)
    • Picture of high school diploma (sometimes)
    • Letter of motivation (sometimes)
  5. Apply for the DAAD scholarship or other scholarships

Once you are accepted to a German University you do not have to worry that much about the details, as the school will help you get settled. Every city is a little different in the way it handles paperwork so it is best to contact saints in the area where you plan to go to school to help with the more specific details.

More helpful links:

Pursuing a Ph.D. in Germany

Learning German first and then doing a degree in German

The availability of Master degree programs in English are limited to specific subjects, and Bachelor programs are almost exclusively in German. Another viable option is to learn German for a year and then apply for a program in German. Germany will grant a year-long visa to foreigners wanting to learn German, as long as you can prove that you are enrolled in a German class. Additional information can be found on the website
German Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning)


Depending on the costs of the language school, how frugally one lives, and the city, 1,200 to 1,300 Euros per month could be enough (1400 to 1500 USD).

This is a very rough breakdown of expenses for living in Germany:

  • 400€ – language school
  • 400€ – rent
  • 400€ – food and living costs
  • 50€ – health insurance

Not included are costs for traveling, attending the conferences, traveling to and from the home country… etc.

It is worth mentioning that after the language school is completed, you would no longer have to pay for tuition so the costs would reduce to about 800 to 900 Euros per month.

Additional information specifically for those from the U.S.:

The general process includes the following general steps necessary for enrolling into a German language degree program and subsequently beginning a German language Bachelor’s Degree program:

  1. Decide on a city
  2. Identify a language school in that city
  3. Receive a letter of acceptance from the language school as proof of enrollment
  4. Apply for the language learning visa through the German Consulate
  5. Start an intensive German language course (1 to 1.5 years)
  6. Take the DSH or TESTDAF (German proficiency examinations)
  7. Enroll into a German University for an undergraduate program

There is a specific visa that is designed for those who desire to first learn German and subsequently enroll into an academic program. This is called the “Visum zum Erlernen der deutschen Sprache in Vorbereitung auf ein Fachstudium.”

The visa application process would be taken care of through the German consulate responsible for your region:

German Missions in the United States


Below is a list of the items that are needed in order to apply for the language course visa from two different sources. While there is a lot of overlap between them, there are a few differences to note (visa fee and how many copies of your passport you need). The safest way (until we get more definite information) is to make sure that you meet the requirements from both sources.

Language Course Visa

One of the items necessary is proof of health insurance in Germany (Perhaps the US health insurance can cover the time for the language school, but that would have to be clarified with your health insurance company.

Clarifications for Certain Application Documents

  1. Resume- the resume normally needs to be in the Europass format. The template can be found on Europass
  2. Proof that your education was conducted in English- email the registrar office of your university and ask them to provide a letter stating that your education was conducted in English with the official university letterhead.
  3. In addition to your transcript, you will need to provide a scale of how the GPA scale was calculated. This should either be requested from the registrar office of your university or found on the back of your official transcript.
  4. Letter of Motivation- seeDAAD
  5. Secondary school in Europe is equivalent to high school in the U.S.
  6. *Many programs in Germany do not require letters of recommendation

*Many programs in Germany do not require the GRE

Further Details about Moving to Germany

  • Student Visa: U.S. citizens are allowed to come to Germany without a visa for 3 months. In the case that you are accepted to a German University, you will be able to obtain your residence permit after getting here.
  • It is possible to work in Germany as an international student for a limited number of days per year. More information can be found on Side Jobs in Germany.
  • Driver License
  • For those coming from the U.S., it is easier and cheaper to get your license in a state that has a reciprocity agreement than to come to Germany and go through driving school. You are technically not allowed to drive in Germany with a non-EU license after 6 months of living in Germany.